Updated June 30, 2016
This policy describes how Internet Directory, Inc., d/b/a CityOf.com ("CityOf.com", "We", "Us") collects, uses, shares, and secures information on our owned and operated websites and other properties, as well as the services we use to communicate with consumers and to facilitate communications between consumers and the businesses who advertise with us. Although you should read through the entire policy for complete information, the following provides a summary of some of the most important aspects of our privacy practices:
- We use your personally-identifiable information to provide you with products, services, and information, including more relevant search results and advertising and to make sharing with others quicker and easier, while enabling you to maintain control of that sharing.
- We are committed to working with you to reach the right balance of what information we collect, use, and share, by providing you with ways to control information that we collect, through our opt-out mechanisms.
- We take reasonable measures to secure your sensitive personally-identifiable information, but we cannot promise, and you should not expect, that your sensitive personally-identifiable information will remain secure in all circumstances.
Information Collection and Use
When we use the term "information" we are referring to both personally-identifiable information and non-personally-identifiable information that we collect about you. "Personally-identifiable information" refers to information that personally identifies you, or can reasonably be linked to you by us. Personally-identifiable information can either be "sensitive" or "non-sensitive." "Sensitive personally-identifiable information" refers to information that is generally considered confidential such as your financial account number, billing information, social security number, and precise location. "Non-sensitive personally-identifiable information" refers to information that is generally not considered confidential such as your name, date of birth, mail or email address, telephone number, friends’ name or email address if you choose to refer them to us, general geographic information (e.g., your city or state), account preferences, and business information. "Non-personally-identifiable information" refers to information that does not specifically identify you, or has been processed so as to effectively prevent your identification, and may include data associated with a particular computer or device you are using that does not personally identify you.
You can generally visit our Sites without revealing any personally identifiable information about yourself. However, certain Services, such as Events Listing, will invite you to register or provide personally identifiable information which may include, without limitation, your name, address, email address, phone number, password, and other contact information that you voluntarily transmit with your communication to us. If you register for such Services, you may automatically receive emails confirming your registration and providing you with the necessary information relating to the access or use of your registration.
Primary purpose of collecting information.
Our primary purpose in collecting information about you is to provide you with products, services, information, and advertisements that match your interests and preferences. For example, we may use this information to fulfill your order, respond to your inquiries, administer your account, send marketing, assess your needs and interests in order to better tailor offers and/or advertising, improve our website and marketing, conduct research, display content based upon your interests, allow you to search information on our site, and/or list you in our search and directory services. We do this on behalf of ourselves and the businesses which advertise with us. We also use traffic data received through our technologies, in conjunction with third-party demographic and interest-based data, to provide services to our Customers such as tools to see how their website or mobile applications are used.
Information collection process.
We collect information from you by asking that you provide it to us online, through a device or other means by which we communicate with you. We also collect information when you choose to communicate with us or when you choose to utilize our services to communicate with other users of our services or with the businesses who advertise with us. We also collect information about your interactions with third-party websites and applications that use our technologies, and may combine the information we collect about you with additional demographic and interest-based data from third-party providers. This may include:
- Identification data (e.g. name, username, password, address, telephone number, mobile number, email address);
- Profile information (e.g. age, gender, country of residence, language preference, business listings and any information that you choose to make available as part of your CityOf.com user profile);
- Products or services ordered and delivered;
- The content of any communications you choose to have with us or with any of our other users or advertisers through the services we make available (e.g. comments, e-mails, recorded telephone calls, user-generated content, etc.); and
- Data from surveys in which you participate.
Cookies and other monitoring technologies.
We may also collect information from you automatically. For instance, we, like many websites and applications, automatically collect information including the computer or wireless device you use, unique device identifier, location data, the type of browser and operating system that you use, the internet provider or wireless carrier you use, the web pages or applications you view, the time and duration of your visits, the search queries that you enter, and how you interact with advertising. Among other things, we use the following technologies to automatically collect information:
- CityOf.com and our marketing partners, affiliates, analytics or service providers use technologies such as cookies, beacons, scripts and tags. These technologies are used in analyzing trends, administering the website, tracking users’ movements around the site, and gathering demographic information about our user base as a whole. We may receive reports based on the use of these technologies by these companies on an individual and aggregated basis. Various browsers may offer their own management tools for removing these types of tracking technologies.
- "Unique Identifiers" are unique strings of characters that are used to identify you, your computer, or your mobile device. Such identifiers may be preset on your computer or mobile device. We may use unique identifiers to recognize you when you visit our sites or use our mobile applications.
- "Web beacons" or "clear pixels" are small graphic images on a Web page or in an e-mail that can be used for such things as recording the pages and advertisements clicked on by users, or tracking the performance of email marketing campaigns.
- A "web server log" is a record of activity created by the computer that delivers the web pages you request to your browser. For example, a web server log may record the search term you entered or the link you clicked to bring you the webpage. The Web server log may also record information about your browser, such as your IP address and the cookies set on your browser by the server.
- A "widget" is a program or application that can be embedded in a web page or mobile application. Widgets can provide real-time information, such as stock quotes or weather reports, or take information, such as restaurant reservations or online food orders. Widgets are often provided and hosted by a third party, and may allow that third party to collect data about users viewing that page or interacting with that widget, possibly subject to privacy policies other than those of CityOf.com. We also use Social Media Features such as the Facebook Like button. In addition to information you fill in, these features may collect your IP address, which page you are visiting on our site, and may set a cookie to enable the feature to function properly.
- "Geo-location technologies" refers to technologies that permit us to determine your location. We may ask you to manually provide precise location information on our website, or to enable your mobile device to send us precise location information in order to provide you with relevant services in your area.
- We may also automatically use information from your web server or computer to determine general location information, such as the city in which you live.
In addition to information that we collect from you, we may collect information about you from third parties for purposes such as ad targeting, optimization and reporting.
When and how information is shared.
We may share information about you with third parties in certain circumstances including in the following situations:
- Advertisers. If you decide to communicate with a company that advertises with us, for example by calling a telephone number or clicking a link that we provide for that advertiser, we may share non-sensitive personally-identifiable information with the advertiser.
- Affiliates. We may share all types of information with the CityOf.com family of companies, for the purpose of fulfilling the services that we provide to our customers and to customize your experience.
- Blogs, Online Postings, and Testimonials. We may share with the public any information that you publish in conjunction with an online review, comment, or blog. This may include non-sensitive personal information that identifies you.
- Business Transaction. In the event that we, or part, or all, of our assets are acquired, we may share all types of information with the acquiring company. You will be notified via email or a notice on our website of any change in ownership or uses of your personally-identifiable information, as well as any choices you may have regarding your personally-identifiable information.
- Law Enforcement. We may report to law enforcement agencies any activities that we reasonably believe to be unlawful, or that we believe may aid a law enforcement investigation. In addition, we reserve the right to release all types of information to law enforcement agencies if we determine, in our sole judgment, that either you have violated our policies, or the release of information about you may protect the rights, property or safety of us or another person.
- Legal Processes. We may share all types of information with others as required by, or permitted by, law. This may include sharing all types of information with governmental entities, or third parties in response to subpoenas, court orders, other legal process, or as we believe is necessary to exercise our legal rights, to defend against legal claims that have been brought against us, or to defend against possible legal claims that we determine in our sole discretion might be brought against us.
- Other Third Parties - Without your consent. We may share non-personally-identifiable information with other third parties that are not described above. When we do so we endeavor to either aggregate or de-identify the information so that a third party would not be likely to link data to you, your computer, or your device. Aggregation means that we combine the non-personally-identifiable information of numerous people together so that the data does not relate to any one person. De-identify means that we remove or change (e.g., hash) certain pieces of information that might be used to link data to a particular person.
- Other Third Parties - With your consent. We may share any information, including sensitive personally-identifiable information, with other third parties that are not described above if you give us consent to do so
How information is secured.
We take our commitment to securing personally-identifiable information in our possession seriously. When you provide your credit card number or a social security number we protect your information during transmission and storage through the use of encryption. We also encrypt sensitive data such as geo-location information in transmission. For other types of information, we use reasonable measures to help prevent the information from becoming disclosed to individuals who are not described in this policy. It is important for you to protect against unauthorized access to your password and to your computer. No security measures are perfect and we cannot promise that the information about you will remain secure in all circumstances.
Our site is intended for a general, adult audience, and we never knowingly collect personally-identifiable information from anyone under the age of 13. CityOf.com respects the privacy of parents and children and is committed to complying with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA). If a parent believes that his or her child has submitted personal information to CityOf.com, he or she can contact us by email at staff@CityOf.com. CityOf.com will promptly delete the information upon learning that it relates to a child under the age of 13. Please note that it is possible some of this information may remain archived in web logs and backup archives after CityOf.com deletes the information from its active database.
CityOf.com may communicate with you in a variety of ways. The following describes some of your options concerning how we communicate with you:
- Email Marketing from CityOf.com - If you do not want to receive emails from us about products or services that we offer, you can "opt-out" from receiving such emails by clicking on the "unsubscribe" link provided at the bottom of any marketing email that you receive. Please note that if you choose to opt-out we may still send you non-marketing email. For example, we may send you email about a specific product or service that you request, we may respond to a message from you, or we may send you email about the terms and conditions of our websites. If you decide at a later time that you would like to receive commercial emails from us, you can re-add yourself to our communication list.
- Telephone Marketing from CityOf.com - If you do not want to receive telephone calls about products or services that we offer, you can "opt-out" from receiving most telephone marketing calls by visiting the national do not call registry at https://www.donotcall.gov/
1559 S Brownlee Blvd
Corpus Christi, Texas 78404
Monday-Friday 8AM-5PM CST